Bringing Deeper Learning to every student will eliminate the existing barriers that can create the necessary space for educational innovation to thrive.
Curiosity always brings engagement. A student, when provided with adequate opportunities, will always try to learn more. An important aspect of learning though comes with the ability to solve practical and real-world problems. This type of learning, which guides students to think critically and out of the box can be defined as deeper learning.
Implementing deep learning: Strategies and key points
Deeper learning should be a part of the curriculum today in schools. In this blog, we will discuss the strategies that are important for deeper learning and their key points as well. But, before proceeding further, let us discuss the steps towards deeper learning.
- Success and ambitions: Before starting with any lesson, students must be clear about that goal which they’ll be achieving so that they can remain motivated throughout. Not only motivation, but this particular step will also help in self-evaluation.
- Interdisciplinary approach: The world is evolving at a very fast pace and one needs to stay updated to adjust anywhere and anytime. In addition to this, real-world problems also play an important role in promoting the interests of students.
- Through Participation: The learning process becomes great when it comes to socialization. Students can socialize through collaboration via online groups, seminars, and available social groups. This will help students to learn about different opinions and make themselves ready for anonymous situations.
- Student-oriented tasks: One can see an exponential rise in the learning process if it revolves around the learner i.e., the student. All the tasks, problems, experiments should be student-centric and students should be allowed to judge them according to their own choices. This will not only boost confidence among students but also promotes deeper learning.
- Leadership: Leadership is a very effective tool as it comes with great responsibility and integrity. Leadership enhances communication skills and most importantly, it teaches gratitude which also comes under deeper learning. A leader is expected to show empathy towards his/her fellow teammates and motivate them to perform their best.
- Literacy should rise: The way for the same does not matter at all. literacy can grow with help of reading, writing, and speaking and all these should be incorporated in every possible way out there. Writing is the best solution to avoid rote memorization and make students understand concepts rather than mugging them up. When students practice writing many times, they will first understand and then learn which will lead to a rise in literacy.
Now let us discuss top strategies for the deep learning process
- Practical based solutions: As a teacher, you must introduce as much practical work as you can. It is very easy for students to understand seeing the live demonstration rather than reading the concepts from books or notes. Students can be taken to science fairs or laboratories which will make them curious about the subject, and they will be inspired about the same.
- Teamwork: Collaboration does not mean teamwork as collaboration can be on a larger basis between two institutions, two teams, etc. Teamwork helps to understand many things like how to solve conflicts with your fellow mates, how to be supportive of each other, and most importantly, celebrate both victories as well as the defeat. Real-world problems which are a part of deeper learning require teamwork so that various innovations and inventions can take place for the betterment of humanity and mankind. For example, Scientists have developed the Corona Vaccine which is a result of their hard work and team spirit, otherwise it wouldn’t be possible for an individual to invent the same.
- Project-based learning: Traditional form of learning takes project work as just a formality to gain marks for a better result. But deeper learning involves project making for better understanding. Students themselves make projects without any external help so that they can grow and learn independently or if any help is required urgently, they do prefer to talk with their classmates in place of approaching the teacher.
- Handling pressure: Students of the present will be the leaders of tomorrow and hence, they should know to handle peer pressure in place of running away from it. Certain challenges bring pressure along with them but it is for students’ good only. Critical thinking develops along with decision making and students can decide their good or bad.
After reading the above blog, many of you must be wondering whether deep learning is complex or not? The answer is no, it is not. You have to start with small steps and after some time, you will see the results for sure. Your approach will become goal-oriented and you’ll be more focused on achieving your ambition.
Also published on Medium.