GRE and TOEFL centers have a mandate, all test takers are required to bring valid and up-to-date identification when they report to a test center.
Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) and the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), standardized tests that are an admission prerequisite for many universities abroad, is conducted by Educational Testing Service (ETS). Indian students taking these language tests will be permitted to use Aadhaar cards as proof of identity from July 1st,2021.
More convenience for GRE and TOEFL Test-Takers
According to the ETS website, a passport is so far the only recognized form of identification for applicants in India. In the announcement, the Educational Testing Service (ETS) broadcasted:
- Students are unable to get new passports or renew existing passports due to Covid-19.
- Students can now provide an original, full-version of their Aadhaar Card as received in the mail.
- The facility is for the TOEFL and GRE general home tests, which became common during the pandemic, as well as to the conventional internet-based tests carried out in centers.
- The new introduction is also applicable to the all-new TOEFL Essentials Test, which ETS will be starting from August 21, as well as to the GRE Subject Tests commencing from October 2021.
- Photocopied or hardcopies are not to be accepted, and credentials cannot be presented on a mobile phone or any other electronic device.
- The provision is temporarily be considered as an acceptable form of identification.
World’s largest biometric ID system, Aadhaar is a 12-digit unique identity number that can be attained by residents or passport holders of India. The document is considered proof of residence but not proof of citizenship. And beginning 1 July, use of this 12-digit will be allowed to take TOEFL and GRE tests.
A practical step
The new norm though temporary is a relief considering the current pandemic and provides test takers with more flexibility to pursue their educational endeavors. Ray Nicosia, Executive Director of the Office of Testing Integrity at ETS, mentioned, “With most cities in India facing some form of restriction due to imposed lockdowns, students are not able to apply for a passport or even renew their existing passports. Since the Aadhaar Card is now one of the most widely accepted forms of identification in India, we are confident that accepting this form of ID will be helpful for Indian students who are interested in registering for TOEFL and GRE tests.”
The acceptance of Aadhaar applies to:
- TOEFL iBT Test
- TOEFL iBT Home Edition
- TOEFL Essentials Test (beginning Aug. 2021)
- GRE General Test
- GRE General Test at home
- GRE Subject Tests (beginning Oct. 2021)
Be in the know of the latest and greatest in Education. Keep up with our daily blogs!!
GRE and TOEFL GRE and TOEFL GRE and TOEFL GRE and TOEFL
Also published on Medium.