JEE is one of the toughest engineering entrance exams in the country, with lakhs of students registering for the exam to get that most coveted seat in the premier engineering colleges of India. So what is that an average student needs to do to be like a topper to study and achieve like a topper. Any guesses?
- Avoid last minute preparation – Never keep anything for last moment. This is because your last days or months should always be dedicated for practice and revision. You should start beforehand to complete the entire syllabus and also get time to solve sample papers and JEE mock tests. There is no tricks or shortcuts to success. You have to study hard and smart to score well in the exam, that’s all!
- Set a schedule – If you aim to be like JEE toppers, you should also study their way. Have a good schedule in hand and follow it regularly. A good schedule will always help you cover things timely. You don’t necessarily need to have a time for the entire month or year. Just make sure you know your short term goals and targets. You can prepare a daily or weekly time table. Having some short-term goals is good because it will help you optimize as you go ahead.
- Refer the best books – When I say best ways, it can obviously be one or just 2-3 books not more than this. A topper does not refers multiple or hundreds of books. This adds to the tension and confusion. Starting with the basic books like NCERTs and RD Sharma is a must. H.C. Verma is recommended for building a strong basics in Physics. Additionally, DC Pandey and Irodov are a good combination. For Maths, you may go for Arihant or Cengage, both are equally good. Students looking for Physical Chemistry reference books can practice questions from P Bahadur.
- Focus on efficiency – Always! Sitting and studying for 10 hours continuously makes no sense when whatever you are studying is not properly planned. You need to grasp the maximum in the limited amount of time that you have. Study for just 5-6 hours if you want but do quality study. There is no substitute to quality JEE preparation. You must solve past year question papers or online mock tests to improve your problem solving speed and accuracy.
- Keep yourself calm – Remember to calm yourself down during the exam and don’t panic in any situation. Remember that the ranks are relative and the paper is tough for everyone when it is tough for you.
- Learn from your mistakes – Today with digital educational channels you can test your preparation anytime anywhere. There are several online JEE mock tests that you can appear for and know where you stand just before the exams. After the this assessment get to know where you failed, which is your weak areas and work on that accordingly. Never accept that you will only score low because you are not good at one thing or the other. These assessments are to point your weak areas and for you to work on to improve it. It is a golden opportunity to convert your weaknesses into strengths.
Learn to motivate yourself, don’t overstress yourself, eat properly, exercise well daily and keep your mind relaxed and positive to prepare well and score excellent in the final exam. Never accept your poor results, work on and study hard to score well in the final exam.
All the best for the upcoming JEE exam! Do well and stay positive.
Also published on Medium.