“Personalized learning, when done correctly, can finally give unconventional students ownership of their education“, Cary Kelly.
We all are different in terms of our appearance, culture, and ideologies. These differences are not limited here. They are present in terms of learning as well, and every student has different abilities, and we can’t compare the two of them based on their grasping or learning capabilities.
Learning that a student seeks: Personalized learning
Before proceeding any further, let us understand what personalized learning is all about. In a nutshell, personalized learning entails creating an educational environment and curriculum that adapts to each student’s unique requirements and skills. Personalized learning is a very diversified topic, and it is further divided into many subforms like its benefits, strategies, adaptiveness, etc. In this blog, we will be discussing the scheme associated with personalized learning and its explanation, along with a few examples.
Why personalized learning?
There is an intense need for this type of learning because instructors can’t expect every student to learn at the same pace and speed. Moreover, directly or indirectly, the interests of students also depend absolutely on what they are receiving and how they understand it.
Benefits of personalized learning
Many of you must be well aware of the numerous benefits of personalized learning. Still, let us discuss a few of them:
- Learners develop abilities that are applicable outside of the classroom and will aid them in the future.
- Children together in a tailored education system substantially enhance their understanding.
- Individuals with certain deficiencies can study without the shame of being labelled as “distinctive.”
- Educators are better able to concentrate their time on students.
Strategies of personalized learning
Given below are a few practical strategies that define personalized learning in an elaborated form.
- Train Instructors according to the developing needs of the learners: This is the initial step towards personalized learning as a teacher can teach well only if he is well aware of the trends, methodologies, and methods. Hence, meet with your teachers to brainstorm ideas, learning approaches and proceed towards customized learning together.
- Use of EdTech that is Educational Technologies
It is the simplest yet most effective way of providing Personal learning. Multiple sources are available for proper implementation of digitized education like, for example, e-games, smartboards, etc. These not only promote engagement among students but also help in the upbringing of digital literacy.
- Uniform involvement of students: It means that students should also be allowed to be a part of their own learning experience to develop skills like self-advocacy. If presented with the opportunity to participate in goal-setting in the classroom, students are more driven to achieve those goals. Otherwise, disadvantaged students go overlooked until the conclusion of a course, making the problem more complex to resolve. Apart from this, emphasis should be laid upon practical training as well because nowadays, every field demands practical experience rather than only bookish knowledge.
- Developing personalized activity set for students: Children can pick the sorts of educational processes that perform great for them when teachers utilize tracks for self-guided learning activities. As a result, every student can perform their finest work daily. Do you wonder how all this works? Let us find out. To begin, educators can set a cycle of topic-related learning activities. Individualized education interactions, digital material, teamwork, and community activities are all possibilities. The participant’s selection of exercise can be totally up to them, allowing them to choose whatever sort of training activity makes them look good. Scores or Points must be assigned to each activity to ensure that every student does well and achieves at least up to some extent.
- Flexible Classrooms: The rearrangement of classrooms can be very beneficial. It has certain boons like increased discipline, improved grades, more attendance, and involvement of students accompanied by a positive aura in the classroom, enhanced focus, and whatnot. Rotating stations is another method that is a part of personalized learning so that every student gets a fair chance to sit in front of the classroom. It also promotes targeted instructions and allows students to work in groups of 3-4.
Examples of Personalized learning
Now that we have learned about strategies for personalized cum effective learning, let us have a look at some of the examples of Customized learning.
- Permitting students to decide the medium using which they want to make notes and the medium can be digital or using pen-paper.
- e-games are effective for problem-solving, strategy building, etc. and numerous websites are available for the same.
Every student learns at a different rate. Each has particular requirements and interests that are unique to their learning style. A personalized learning program allows individuals to study at their speed and in the manner that is most beneficial to them. Moreover, it also helps in the future endeavors of children by providing them with the best available opportunities.
Also published on Medium.