Olympiad exams are all about bringing the best out of children. These are national and international competitions that prove beneficial in the long run. Some of the prominent benefits include problem-solving ability, analytical thinking and testing students’ aptitude.
Olympiads can be seen as a platform for students of school level to showcase their skills and talent in their strongest subject.
Benefits of Olympiads
- It helps them to understand deep knowledge about subjects and sharpens their mind for aptitude and competitive exams.
- International Olympiads helps students to solve complex problems in no time.
- One can strengthen the fundamentals of subjects like Math, English and Science, which not only help in cracking Olympiads but also help in getting good scores in school-based exams.
- Appearing for Olympiads gives self-confidence in students and helps them work hard to achieve their goals.
- The courses designed for each class at Speedlabs.in also prepare the students for Olympiads and various other exams.
- Subjects become interesting to learn when students challenge themselves to come out of their comfort zone and have a desire to learn more and master themselves.
- Olympiads give motivation to students to push themselves forward and do brainstorming.
Top 6 ways to prepare for Olympiads
A rank in the Olympiad helps students explore their talent. Questions asked in Olympiads are more conceptual and tricky which requires students to understand the topic well. This ultimately improves their routine class results. It helps students to test their understanding, level of knowledge and power of reasoning. It helps to cultivate the analytical and logical thinking in the students which is quite useful for any competitive exam. Awards and recognitions is another prominent advantage you get by taking Olympiad exams.
- Know the exam pattern
- Be thorough with the syllabus.
- Understand the format of the question paper (marking scheme, etc.)
- Familiarize yourself with these kinds of questions.
- Start preparing early
- You need to start from NCERT books as they lay the foundation of your advanced knowledge.
- While you go through a particular chapter, preparation of notes is very important.
- Cover school curriculum in advance
- Prepare notes / underline key concepts
- Read NCERT or similar book of one higher grade to understand advanced concepts
- Do not start a new concept until you are thorough with the previous one.
- Practice and practice
- Practice is always the key to score a good rank in Olympiads.
- Your Olympiad paper will be accompanied with logical reasoning questions; therefore it’s very important that you do sufficient practice of logical reasoning questions.
- The format of the questions in Olympiads will be in the form of multiple choice questions. So do extensive practice for multiple choice questions.
- Focus on conceptual clarity and practical applications.
- Digital practice
Digital is the new way of studying. Other than the up-to-date syllabus and questions, the digital study has grown tremendously across the world due to a number of reasons.
- Large number of questions
- Instant evaluation
- Explanation for every question
- Easy revision and re-attempt
- Compare performance with peers
- Getting ready for future exams
At Speedlabs.in you can get a complete package of all these things.
- Proper schedule is very important
The students who are preparing for any of the Olympiad need to follow the proper study plan by preparing a complete strategy for every particular subject.
- A right study schedule helps you devote proper time to each subject and topic.
- It makes your studies more organized hence helping you achieve your target easily and effectively.
- Additional tips
- Only detailed study can make the students confident and capable enough to answer the tricky questions asked in any competitive exam.
- As the Olympiad tests are based on the curriculum taught in the school, students must create notes and quick facts for each topic explained in the class.
- while preparing for the Olympiad exams, be focused and attentive.
- Also, to crack the exam with flying colors, you need to believe in yourself and stay motivated throughout the preparation.
- Learn at least one English word daily to expand your vocabulary.
- Keep solving crosswords or random puzzles in newspapers and books.
- For Math, find some puzzle books and practice a lot to improve your logical reasoning by solving different problems.
- Keep on taking regular tests to boost your confidence.
- Cover at least 85 percent of the topics that are needed. Your priority list should be in such a way that you study the high weightage topics first, and then the ones with lower weightage.
- You’ve probably read this enough times, but one cannot emphasize enough the importance of eating and sleeping well. You do not need to study late at night in order to do well. Sleeping helps the brain to retain any new information (boosts memory) and also helps balance out any stress. Waking up early is better since the mind is fresh.
ALL THE BEST!
Also published on Medium.